Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Why I enjoy Dutch oven cooking

Dutch Oven cooking is something that my dad did when I was growing up. A few years ago, I decided to start doing it with my own family. I like to cook in the dutch oven, because it is fun and during the summer it keeps from heating my house up. It is also a great way to cook when we are camping. In 2009, Jennifer and I decided that we would do the Utah State Fair cook-off. Man, what a surprise. I found I was not ready for this. I did not know how to present the dishes or anything. Since then, we have learned a lot, and we have had lots of fun doing the cook-offs. In 2010, Jennifer and I competed in some different cook-offs, and at the Salt Lake County fair, we took first place in the novice division. We had fun and won some great prizes. We have also made some great friends.

My boys are now interested in doing Dutch oven cook-offs, and so we have formed 2 teams. Our first cook-off this year, was the Eagle Mountain Pony Express days cook-off. It was so much fun. We didn't place, but to listen to the boys talk about it and hear how much fun they had, is what is really pleasing to me.

Thomas and I formed 1 team, and Jennifer and Stephen were another team. Thomas and I made Calico Chicken, Sweet Rosemary rolls and Applesauce Cake. We got some really good comments on what we made.

Jennifer and Stephen made barbeque ribs, rolls, and Cherry Chocolate surprise cake. They also got some really good reviews.

Our next cook-off will be at West Haven days on June 25th. Hope we do will.

1 comment:

  1. Love it mom!! I also have a blog that has not been updated for a while. I will update it sometime today though. It is dksmulder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete